Gender and HIV
Addressing gender inequality and harmful gender norms is essential to reducing the risk of the vulnerability to HIV infection, to mitigate the impact of the epidemic, and to improve health outcomes. PEPFAR proactively promotes the integration of five gender strategies into all its programs:
- Increasing gender equity into HIV/AIDS programs and services, including in reproductive health
- Reducing violence and coercion
- Addressing male norms and behaviors
- Increasing women’s legal rights and protection
- Increasing women’s access to income and productive resources, including education.
AIDSTAR-One provides technical assistance resources to programs to increase their capacity to integrate gender strategies into their activities and disseminates evidence on how gender strategies are being implemented and replicated by programs around the world.
Gender New & Noteworthy Queue
Gender Compendium Case Studies
From these 31 programs, 5 were selected as subjects for the following in-depth case studies.
Learn about all the programs and the strategies they employ: Explore Programs.
- Tech Briefs
- Case Studies
- Using Male Peers to do Community Outreach and Deliver One-on-One Counseling Sessions for Risk Reduction:Pathfinder's Expansion of Psychosocial and...
- The One Man Can Campaign supports men and...
- Biruh Tesfa addresses vulnerabilities of...